Elevate Your Self-Care for Practice SuccessSep 28, 2023
Some of us have struggled with self-care and tend to put everyone first, which is one of the worst things we can do. I understand because there was a time when I put everything and everybody ahead of me to grow my practice and care for my family.
I won't give you the gory details, but I paid a price for it. I am here today to beg you to stop putting others first; it is not selfish; it is love, love of yourself, and love of those you love and care for.
If you don’t take care of yourself, it will eventually catch up to you, and the consequences are not worth it.
Working in chiropractic, we represent health and guide others, so if we don’t take care of ourselves, we are a walking and talking incongruency, making people wonder why they would listen to us.
As chiropractors, CA’s, or partners, it's easy to get caught up in the practice's daily operations hustle and bustle. However, it's vital to remember that taking care of ourselves needs to be a top priority.
There are so many reasons why committing to consistent self-care is important.
Self-care supports better mental and emotional health, better decision-making abilities, improved adaptability, and balance, which allows you to engage more effectively in practice growth and personal development and fosters stronger connections with your team, practice members, power partners, and peers. After all, when you're at your best, your practice thrives too.
Self-care is not a selfish indulgence but a strategic necessity for those of us in chiropractic. By taking care of yourself, you not only safeguard your health and happiness but also set the stage for your quantity and quality of life, longevity in practice, and the ability to thrive and prosper. Remember, a healthy practice starts with a healthy you.
Steps to Power Up Your Self-care
- Set Boundaries: Clearly define your work hours and stick to them. This will help prevent burnout and ensure your personal life doesn't take a back seat, and your health doesn’t suffer.
- Prioritize Sleep: A well-rested mind is more creative and productive.
- Get Checked Weekly: practice what you preach by getting checked and adjusted regularly.
- Healthy Eating: Fuel your body with nutritious meals and snacks to enhance focus and energy.
- Exercise Regularly: Find an activity you love because exercise reduces stress, makes you stronger, and promotes overall well-being. Consider hosting exercise classes in the practice.
- Mindfulness and Meditation: Incorporate mindfulness practices into your routine. Even a few minutes of deep breathing or meditation can work wonders. This is another excellent option to incorporate into the practice as a benefit for everyone.
- Delegate and Outsource: Free time by automating, eliminating, and delegating. Know your source of genius and hourly worth, and delegate or outsource everything else. Don't hesitate to delegate tasks to qualified individuals. It will be life-changing and free up time for what truly matters to you.
- Connect with Others: Build a support network you can count on, who stretch you and only want the best for you.
- Learn to Say No: It's okay to decline commitments that don't align with your goals or values. Saying no preserves your time and energy. Say no if it does not move you or your family closer to your goals or fuel your body, mind, or spirit. No explanation is necessary.
- Celebrate Achievements: Acknowledge your successes, big or small. Celebrating milestones boosts motivation and self-esteem. Success amnesia is detrimental to your future.
- Establish Habits and Routines: Determine and commit to what works best for you. I love my morning routine. It sets the tone for my day. Decide what you must commit to for your morning and evening rituals or practices. I use all sorts of hacks for better health and commit to a regular massage schedule, infrared sauna, and getting into nature, and I love a spa day periodically. There is no right or wrong; it is what is suitable for you.
- Take Regular Breaks: Step away from practice periodically to recharge. Even short breaks can enhance productivity and creativity and reduce stress. The best vacation is a planned vacation, so get it on your calendar.
Remember, self-care isn't selfish; it's a vital investment in yourself and your practice's success. By taking care of yourself, you not only safeguard your health and happiness but also set the stage for your quantity and quality of life, longevity in practice, and the ability to thrive and prosper.
Remember, a healthy practice starts with a healthy you. Pledge to prioritize self-care and create a balanced, thriving life as a purposeful, powerful, and prosperous representative of the power of chiropractic.
Stay inspired, stay motivated, and take care of yourselves.